Dating from 1788, the English Market is largest covered market in Ireland.
Although built in the mid 19th century, the internationally important St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral was designed to look like it was from the medieval France. The architect William Burges even made his workers dress in medieval clothing. A local tradition holds that when the world is about the end the horns of the Angel of the Resurrection statue over the apse will sound out.
Many of the principal streets in the city centre were once water filled channels.
The Cork Jazz Festival is one of the largest and most respected jazz festivals in Europe.
Much of the city centre, including the City Hall, was destroyed during the Irish War of Independence.
You can play musical tunes on the 18th century bells at Shandon’s Church of St. Anne’s. The steeple has a clock on each face. Due to the often differing times a local name for the steeple is the ‘four faced liar.’
Cork is located at the end of the second largest natural harbour in the world.
Although the medieval City Walls were dismantled after the Williamite War ended in 1690, below ground the circuit remains intact to depths of up to four metres. A section of the medieval wall is visible in Bishop Lucey Park.
The early 19th century facade of Christchurch on South Main St. hides an earlier 18th century building. The church is built on the location of Cork’s Viking church.
In the 19th century Cork’s Butter Exchange became the largest butter market in the world.
(use the white arrows to scroll through the facts)