Limerick is probably the most besieged city in Ireland. The Normans stormed the town in 1175, King John’s Castle was besieged in 1642, the whole city in 1651, 1690 and 1691.
Of the 400 plus castles in County Limerick, King John’s is the only one built by royal command.
The home of Munster Rugby.
Irish City of Culture 2014.
The Knights Templar once owned a house in Bridge Street.
Limerick is the lowest bridging point on the Shannon and a tidal port.
The Treaty of Limerick of 1691 ended the Williamite war in Ireland. The Treaty Stone on which the document was signed is located on the banks of the Shannon.
Ireland’s oldest local authority museum is found in Limerick.
Limerick was established by the Vikings.
Awarded its first charter in 1197.
Limerick is famous for its lace.
In 1919, at the start of the Irish War of Independence a self-declared soviet existed in Limerick from April 15th to 27th. It was organised as part of protest against the British Army’s designation of most of Limerick City being a “Special Military Area.”
(use the white arrows to scroll through the facts)