(use the white arrows to scroll through the facts)
Trim has the largest castle by area in Ireland.
Jonathan Swift, the author of Gulliver’s Travels, owned a house in the town. Today a satire festival is held annually in his honour.
The Duke of Wellington spent part of his childhood in the town.
The castle had its own mint, making coins called Patricks and Irelands.
The castle is named after King John. Although he visited in 1210 he probably never stayed in the castle itself.
More than ten headless skeletons were discovered during excavations in the town. A law passed in Trim ordered that people caught thieving were to be beheaded.
The entrance gate to the castle has two murder holes to protect the building from attack.
A Russian cannon stands in the castle grounds.
Great miracles were attributed to the statue of Our Lady of Trim in medieval times.
Rowan Hamilton, noted mathematician and discoverer of quaternions, was educated in Trim.
The medieval town had five gates; Sheepgate is the only surviving one.
Trim has won the Tidy Town competition on three occasions. In 2012, it was recognised as the cleanest town in Ireland.
Home to Ireland’s largest castle